Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Getting More Fiber to Stay Healthy Through the Holidays

Fiber isn't really a glam topic, and it isn't something that I really think about a whole lot. Getting enough fiber is actually a good way to prevent diseases, however, so everyone should have it on their mind. My family has a much larger than average propensity for heart disease, which IS something I think about.

In an effort to combat heart disease and stick around long enough to enjoy my kids I have been working on including more fiber in my diet. We are talkin' whole grain oats (not instant) and tons of fresh fruits and veggies. The oats is simple because I love it but I also love bread. Switching to whole grains was a little harder than I expected because the texture is a little different but I must say that since my switch (or, basically my avoidance of bread in general lol) I feel much better.

An adult female needs about 25 grams of fiber a day. One piece of fruit contains a few grams of fiber while one serving of high fiber cereal contain about 10. Beans and legumes are a great way to get fiber, too. Grab a bowl of chickpeas and you have an amazing 7 grams of fiber!

The holiday season is coming and we are facing tables of pies and turkey, but where is the fiber? I always grab some veggies first, along with some lean turkey to make up the bulk of any holiday meal. I also love that my Dad is a whole wheat advocate and has healthy foods stocked for visitors. It makes getting my fiber a lot easier.

I also start every day with a bowl of old-fashioned oats. I like the texture and I know that oats are high in fiber. Plus, when you eat high fiber foods like oats you stay fuller longer. For me, that means I tend to overeat less throughout the day. Oats are totally satisfying with just some fresh fruit, you don't have to overload it with sugar! I love blueberries so that's what I use. I pick them up from the freezer section and toss them in once my oats are ready.

I also have some great lentil recipes that I use to help keep my day full of fiber, but I must say nothing beats a bowl of butter beans for lunch of dinner. I'm not sure what people who aren't from the South call them, but they are the large navy beans. Delicious, and full of fiber!

So, what are your plans for keeping fiber in your diet throughout the holidays?


I wrote this blog post while participating in the Bookieboo and Coach's Oats Fiber blogging program, making me eligible to win a $50 American Express gift card and free product. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment