Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Getting Ready for the Holiday Season

As a greenish Mom with frugal tendencies, it isn't uncommon to see me shopping for Christmas gifts year round. Most of that time is spent in the planning stage, so that I know exactly what I am getting for everyone on my list. Finding those items at a good price is fun, and lets me see all kinds of toys and other gift ideas I might have missed otherwise.

Having a cheap Christmas isn't usually one of my goals, but if I can save money I will. This year I have decided to try some Melissa and Doug dollhouses and castles for my 10 and 3 year old. They look pretty fun, and my daughter adores dollhouses. Last year she wanted a mushroom dollhouse, and let me tell you, that was a hard house to find! I finally found one on E-Bay that was both cute and cheap! Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and getting my kids exactly what they want really makes me happy.

We also made an ornament every single year. Making an ornament by hand is a cheap Christmas idea, but is also one that can create some great memories for the future. Every year I can take out these ornaments that my kids have been making since they were toddlers and see how their skills and ideas have changed over the years. It's definitely my favorite part of the season.

This year, we have decided to make some felt snowflakes and felt doves, and some cinnamon ornaments. I bet our cheap Christmas is going to smell delicious! I am always open to ideas for ornaments, especially those that are suitable for a wide range of ages to make. My youngest this year is going to be 1, and my oldest 14. I wonder what kind of ideas they will have for 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment