Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Life as an SEO Writer

So, I have been writing professionally for a few years. Well, as professionally as I can with one of my kids sitting on my lap (often giving me kisses or moving his face in front of mine so that typing is virtually impossible), and one singing Yo Gabba Gabba songs in the background. I love, love, love being able to stay home with my kids. It really is the best job in the world, it just doesn't pay that well so I started writing.

SEO articles aren't as creative as you may think. First, people want you to use keywords. Some people have so many keywords that they want used the actual article is only a few hundred words long. It does make it easier to write, but it isn't nearly as creative as making a blog post or writing a short story. Unfortunately, I lack the wit/time/skills to write novels or books! I like facts too much to make things up!

Working online is also very, very time consuming with two small kids at home and four older kids. The older kids don't need my attention as much, but I still make the extra effort to spend as much time with them as I can. Which leaves me working until well into the night sometimes, which is actually preferable. Once the baby is sleeping, I can write for a few hours uninterrupted by kisses and raspberries.

I tried *not* writing for a few weeks after I had my son. It didn't work out well. I miss writing, as much as I missed getting paid! Writing is something that I have always loved to do, but getting paid to do it makes it feel like I am really successful. I have thought about starting a business, but don't know yet. Eventually, I may but right now I am focusing on other things. 

Do any of you write? If so, what? I am always slightly offended when I see bloggers who rush through their posts or have poor grammar or spelling. Of course, I am not perfect and a lot of my posts are uninspired, I suppose, but I try my best to iron out any mistakes I see and I only write when I can devote a chunk of time to the task. What are your pet peeves when it comes to reading posts?

No comments:

Post a Comment